Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why Does the Media Always Get it Wrong??

It bothers me so much that modern media (tv sitcoms, movies, etc) always portrays:

1. Pregnancy as a time of extreme woe and the most horrible physical burden a woman will ever experience

2. Pregnant women as angry, sweaty, uncontrollable, hate-their-husbands-for-knocking-them-up, exhausted, preg-zillas!

3. Birth as a psychotic whirlwind of screaming, terror, pain, and confusion.

Don't believe me? Have you ever seen even the TRAILERS for movies like The Back-Up Plan,  Knocked Up and What to Expect When You're Expecting? Yes, these movies offer a look into the comical side of pregnancy and childbirth, but they also do a great disservice to this wonderful and trans-formative time in a woman's life by adding dramatic and warped elements of hysteria and fear into it as well. To me, and almost all the moms I know who have gone through pregnancy and birth, it's more like this:

1. Pregnancy is a beautiful time of physical, emotional, and spiritual transformation as a woman becomes a mother to her growing baby within her, speckled with moments of physical discomfort and hormonal fluctuations, thus making the

2. Pregnant woman a joyful, powerful, loving, nurturing mother who occasionally cries at commercials or begs for pickles.

3. and Birth is the single most monumental event of a woman's life, that yes, involves pain, but the focus of the event is not on that - it's on bringing a new life into the world. Amidst any pain or confusion that may be happening during childbirth, the focus is always on the joy of a new life. All rewards take sacrifice. They don't call it labor for nothing - it is work to give birth, don't get me wrong. But it's the most wonderful work a woman can do; it's a labor of LOVE to give birth to a baby!

It seriously drives me nuts that so many women, especially when they are newly pregnant, are made to feel afraid and uneducated about pregnancy and childbirth! And we can't blame them - they are bombarded with these images which paint over-the-top drama, pain, and horror into what in reality, is a very fun and exciting time for a woman. As a woman who's been through it, I can say - yes, there was morning sickness and unexplained crying, and towards the end, it was definitely a little difficult to breath with a tiny little foot always pressing up into my diaphragm, but overall pregnancy was a joy -filled journey for me and I fell more and more in love my my little growing bundle every day. And when the day came to give birth to her, again - yes, the contractions were not fun, and it sure was exhausting to be in labor for so long, and most of all, I really hate hospitals so I just wanted to hide in a closet until it was all over but overall, giving birth was all about love, and I felt overjoyed to have the privilege and blessing to bring a baby into the world!

What do you all think? Am I the only one bothered by these types of scenes in films and television??

2 comments:

  1. I haven't given it much thought I guess, but reading this made me feel less afraid and more excited about someday popping out baby! I just found out in sex class that my eggs are running out... Tick tock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, it drives me crazy!!!! Especially after reading Ina May Gaskin's books! All woman need to read her books and get through truth about birth!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...