Thursday, July 7, 2011

Let Us Be a Comfort to One Another

You ever notice how life tends to produce cycles? You get a call from a friend telling you she's engaged and then later on Facebook, you see seven other couples you know who recently got engaged. Same with babies. There's never just one woman you know who's pregnant. It's always in a cluster. I seriously know so many preggo mamas right now!

Sadly, though, another cycle life seems to be in right now is hardship and tragedy. It seems everywhere I look, I'm reading or hearing about some deeply upsetting tragedy or some seemingly unyielding hardship someone is going through. Not just on the news, but close to home as well... bloggy moms I know, acquaintances of mine, dear friends to me, and close family members. Whether it be murder, accidental death, terminal illness, financial distress, or various health-related burdens... it's clear that there is an abundance of suffering in our world.

I'm no great mystic or philosopher. Often, when someone shares their troubles with me, I feel so at a loss for words. Sometimes all I can do is just sit there and cry with that person, and hope that my tears are of some comfort to them; that they may at least know they aren't suffering alone. We have all had our share of difficulties in our lives, and I'm no different. I've been through all kinds of crazy things, and endured a lot of pain. But the key word in that sentence was 'through'. I've been through these difficulties, and each time I get over to the other side of them, I know that I am a stronger, wiser person because of it.
I think women in particular have a special way of reaching out to one another in hard times. It's ironic because we live in a society which is actually quite hostile towards authentic friendship, particularly female friendship. It seems our society would much rather portray the ideas and images of women in competition with one another, such as on The Bachelor, or women in conflict with one another, such as on the many versions of The Real Housewives. These images are sad to me, because they do so much damage to the truth and the beauty of authentic female friendship, which is such a rewarding and worthwhile type of relationship. 

So I think what I'm trying to say is, Women - let's take off our "petty-coats" and, in imitation of our sweet Lady, don a mantle of grace, love, and compassion. Let us be a comfort to one another. 
If you are experiencing some difficulty in your life right now, I know that it is so easy to despair and how tempting it may be to give in to the misery.But just know that you will come through this, and as you fight your way through to the other side of it, know that you are not alone.


I'll leave this post with the words from our beautiful sister and intercessor in Heaven.
May her words be a comfort to you in hard times, and a reminder to us all of what is truly important:

Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing dismay you.
All thing are passing.
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God finds he lacks nothing.
God alone suffices. 

- St. Teresa of Avila

2 comments:

  1. CA, thanks for sharing! This is beautiful, and you are absolutely correct. God bless you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that St. Teresa quote...thanks, CA!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...