Friday, May 20, 2011

Goal Weight!!!! Woooooot!


Sooo... I'm so happy, I can't even contain myself! I hit (actually BEAT) my goal weight today! I am one excited mama. I went back and forth about whether or not I'd share my actual numbers with you, dear readers, and the world wide web at large... and ya know what? I decided I will. For a few reasons:

1. I'm really proud of how far I've come, and want to share my true progress with y'all.
2. I understand women are usually really sensitive about their weight, but it stems from an insecurity that we're always "too fat". An insecurity which stems from all the horrible lies we've been fed throughout our lives about what beauty is.
3. I hope that other women can learn to embrace their bodies, be inspired to work towards a healthy lifestyle, and not be ashamed of a healthy weight!

So. When I got pregnant in November of 2009, my weight was 153. At 5 foot 4 inches, and according to the standard BMI calculator, that was overweight. At the end of my pregnancy, my weight was (gasp!) 183. Now, I know I was preggo and all, but that was definitely not a healthy weight at my height, and the BMI calculated that as obese. Yeeeeeikes.

So since the birth of my daughter in August 2010, I have been working towards a healthier lifestyle. I haven't been "dieting" because diets don't work. I've adjusted what I eat to be more balanced, nutritious, and ideally portioned. And I also don't have an intense exercise regime. It seems that everyone I know is a runner. Well, I don't run. I just don't. I've always said the only way I'll run is if someone is chasing me down a dark alley with a weapon of some sort. I am active, however.
I take walks (2-4 miles) at least 4 times a week. Sometimes I do yoga. Sometimes I do kickboxing if I'm in the mood. And I chase around a rambunctious baby all day long! :) So now that that sweet baby is more than nine months old, I have finally reached and surpassed my goal weight.  
My goal weight was 138 and today I am 137!!
According to the BMI calculator I am a normal, healthy weight for my height. And I couldn't be happier!

And now that I've made it here, I'm ready to keep going! I could lose another 10 lbs and still be well within the "normal weight" category. I think I'll have a new goal weight of 130. And see how I feel when I get there! I'm really excited to start working on my physical fitness now that I'm at a healthy weight. Ya know, all the toning goodness that makes your bum a little cuter and your arms a little tighter :)

I would post before/after pictures but I stupidly took them in a sports bra and teeny shorts sooo.... I'll take some afters of me in clothes and see if I can grab some befores around the time I had Gemma. Though I'm pretty sure I wasn't letting anyone take full-body pics of me at that point! Haha ;)

Anyway, is anyone else on a weight-loss/healthier-lifestyle journey? How are you doing? Anything you need some advice about? Any tips you can lend me or other readers? :)

Have a great weekend y'all!








15 comments:

  1. That is fantastic! Congrats!!! I am myself trying to lose some weight. I have been actively trying and making a daily effort for almost 3 weeks now. Trying not to be discouraged. GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Just in time for summer too which is nice. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I am trying to eat healthier and improve our eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! you are an inspiration. it is people like you who share so sweetly and openly who will inspire and help women to not feel so judged by weight! congrats...have a great weekend, TGIF
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!!! And thanks for being so brave as to share your (gasp) actual weight! At the end of my third pregnancy, I was 197!!! I'm 5'9", but nearly 200 was unacceptable. After I gave birth, I was around 175. I had to lose at least 20 more pounds. It took me a little over a year of eating sensibly and walking (like you!) and I hit 152. As soon as I hit that mark, I found out I was pregnant again. This time I vowed to myself I would be more careful about what I was eating while pregnant. Gained the 25 pregnancy pounds and shed it all so fast I couldn't even believe it. My baby is 3 mos now and I'm just under 150! I guess it's keeping up with three kids and a newborn! You're awesome - thanks for sharing...beautiful blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey stopping by from the "friend finding friday" blog hop doing a little self promotion cuz we're cool like that :). Be sure to come check us out! www.christanncox.blogspot.com WE FOLLOW BACK! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww thanks ladies! You are all so beautiful!!

    Mary Katherine - go girl!!! That is so great. I know one of my main motivations for taking the weight off is wanting to get pregnant again (maybe this summer! ee!) and wanting to be at a healthy fitness level before then. And yea, hopefully I'll be more careful about the weight the second time around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower from the Finding New Friends blog hop! Would love it if you'd swing by my blog when you get a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came by for the blog hop and am following your blog thru GFC and Facebook. I would really love a follow back on both of those if you don't mind. I am trying to do product reviews but unless you have a good number on Facebook (for what I don't know why) you don't get the good products to review. I don't understand those rules, but you gotta do it. Thanks for the help and have a great weekend!

    Mary@http://mmbearcupoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. CA, that's awesome! Good for you! I've recently been trying to lose some weight, but apparently it's very hard. I'm currently doing a year of service and living in intentional community with a limited food budget, so basically that means that we've been very busy with not much time for personal exercise, and eating lots of carbs throughout. But I am trying! And reading your post has inspired me to get healthier again, since it's something that has really bothered me recently. So, thank you! I'm not a runner, either...but I love long walks! Good to know that it worked for you.

    P.S. Do you even remember who I am? Haha...let's hope so. Otherwise, hey, it's Liz, we went to Bonas together when I was a freshman. Nice to connect with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go CA!

    Diets are the devil. Ok just kidding. seriously though, I have never found one to work. I do run, buuuuuut I way over eat, mainly sweets. And I have tried to give up sweets all together a laughable amount of times. I had a friend who only ate sweets and sugary things on the weekends as part of her lifestyle choice. So this is week one, day two and it is so hard! self control is definitely not my strong suit. Andddd I have started to notice that people I know who bounce back from pregnancy extremely fast and always look trim-ish drink obscene amounts of water. I will let you know if it works. I also found an accountability buddy to do it with me...:) I think that helps too! Way to go CA! It's so hard to lose weight as a stay at home mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LIZ!!! Of course I remember you, beautiful! What group are you volunteering with? I can imagine it would be pretty difficult to try to lose weight in your situation, but nothing is impossible! One thing you could do is maybe substitute lunch and/or breakfast with a nutritional shake (I drink the off0brand version on Slim-fasts). It costs roughly $10 for 12 shakes... so that could be breakfast and lunch 6 days of the week and it's pretty cheap actually!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maureen - You crack me UP! I know it's so hard to have SELF-CONTROL! Luckily I was blessed to not have a sweet tooth BUT I do have a salt tooth haha. Which has resulted in the past with me eating an entire bag of chips with french onion dip. Ohhh well. The water is a great thing though. It's helped me a whole bunch... 'cause it also fills up your belly to help curb your hunger! I like your idea about the accountability partner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE that you don't diet, it's a lifestyle, and sounds like a effective one at that. Thank you for being proof that women can have a baby, and look even better after having one, and don't need to crash diet or exercise like crazy. A little bit of nutrition sense and patience go a long way. Your hair is so fresh & springy, "here's to summer coming" cut. Women with beautiful faces like yours look great with a whole lot of looks, and this chopped look is one of them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm volunteering with Capuchin Youth and Family Ministries in Garrison, NY. I've been a youth minister since last August, running retreats and outreach programs and also running my own parish youth group. I live, work, and pray in community...it's crazy, but it's awesome, too. I'm done in July and then in August, I'm heading to Boston College to get my Master's degrees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rebecca you are seriously so sweet! Thank you so much for the compliments :)

    Liz - that all sounds so fantastic! I'll say a prayer for your transitions this summer! How exciting :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...